Mnyb;695135 Wrote:
> Time for another bad analogy ( in good forum tradition ) .
>
> "out of context" is my thought ?
>
> If you walk up to your HD tv some millimeters away with an magnifying
> glass, you see nothing but dots , but you don't get any sleepless
> nights over that in the visual case it is accepted that the dots blur
> together at the correct viewing distance and becomes invisible to us .
> Pictures with different resolution is more or less sharp and natural to
> us not " dotty " or anything some such.
>
> Correct viewing distance would be analogues to the correct dynamic
> range for the music .
>
> But maybe it is bad form to use picture analogy it is not the same and
> brain behaves different .
> And picture quality is still crude compared to sound quality .
>

> This test is probably for testing linearity at extreme low levels.

Yes. But this seems to go against the idea the analogue waveform is
re-created as a continuous curve which intersects the data points.
Instead, it seems the values are just output as a voltage during each
sample interval.

If the above is true, you would get quantization error. And again I
assume, this would normally be converted from distortion into noise by
dithering, making it inaudible. What I want to know is, where does this
sinc function thingy come into it, if the DAC is just outputting the
level determined by the samples?

Note I am not stating anything with certainty - really I am asking how
does this work?!
Darren

--
darrenyeats