Mnyb;696263 Wrote:
> Nowdays you can have you cake and eat it , my speakers have digitally
> implemented tone controls (and I'm pretty sure most other hi end and
> home cinema have or will have this ) .
>
> So you can control tone without nasty side-effects in form of added
> noise from a tone circuit .
>
> I usually don't use them every day or even every week for that matter,
> but for the really unbalanced recordings I do ,they actually improve if
> i do so it can't be bad .
>
> And I have a constant tillt of +1,5 db in base -1,5 dB in the treble
> due to acoustics and speakers placement .
>
> Treble fades away faster in air so any speaker have a distance where
> you are expected to sit I'm probably closer than expected due to a
> small room. and the designer have to make some assumption acoustics so
> if the room are a bit lively just adjust it .
>
> So there is no penalty anymore if you got the rigth stuff :D
> a pity that the old inguz plugin is not properly maintained it offered
> eq as a side effect of having drc , but it is a bizarre thing to setup,
> otherwise it would give you eq from the palm of your hand in iPeng for
> example.
>
> I think the rigid pow of "thy shall not use tone controls" commandment
> is a left over from the analog days .
>
> And frankly it did not always made sense then either hooray for
> defeatable tone circuits !!
>
> If you have the choice to suffer or make a mild tone adjustment what to
> do ?
>
> But again I only do this if it is obvious that the balance is
> cluelessly done, sometimes the producer and artist have some idea
> behind the sound and it is that I want to hear  .
>
> But then they removed even the defeatable controlls for "purity" this
> was and is BS no one would be able to hear a contact surface on a relay
> or selector, but it was also cheaper to build and audiophiles love to
> pay more for less...
>
> Another example of that thinking take the top of the line CD player ,
> remove the dac and stuff multiply price with 2 or 3 and now we have a
> transport ! enjoy . But this was overdone hence hanging out with the
> Squeezebox for a fraction of the cost for such device :) luckilly a big
> crowd of audiophiles is not bying that anymoore and we have a lot of
> streamers and pc stuff to chose from , at computer prices not hi-end
> hifi prices.
>
> The third choice is ofcourse buy an expensive power cord < or insert
> any cargo cult item > and try to placebo over it pretending it was
> suddenly fixed ;)
>
> If you have a resolving neutral hifi and the good music you try to
> listen is badly mangled you are going to hear it as is straight with no
> chaser whether you like it not :-/ but having a euphonic hifi that rose
> tints everything is not an option either , this will make the good
> stuff suffer instead , giving that sameness thta is the mark of bad
> hifi .
> [...]

I agree with a lot of this but there a few counter arguments:
1. EQ can't fix cancellations due to room modes.
2. EQ tends to reduce effective dynamic range.
3. EQ affects phase response.

Depending on the source of the distortions, point 3 may not be a bad
thing. For example, I've read that poor loudspeaker frequency response
can sometimes go hand in hand with poor phase response and therefore EQ
may improve both! But if your speaker has a good FR and phase response,
and you apply EQ because of room acoustics this won't be good for phase
response.

EQ and DRC are fine but room acoustics should be the first line of
attack. Unfortunately, few of us can have a purpose built room -
goodness knows mine isn't! - but applying a few physical treatments is
practical enough for most people.

It may come across that I am DSP bashing but that isn't true. If you
want to use DSP then I won't argue. But I would add, try to fix the
physical space (the cause of most problems) as much as possible first.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.