darrenyeats;696299 Wrote:
> I agree with a lot of this but there a few counter arguments:
> 1. EQ can't fix cancellations due to room modes.
> 2. EQ tends to reduce effective dynamic range.
> 3. EQ affects phase response.
>
> Depending on the source of the distortions, point 3 may not be a bad
> thing. For example, I've read that poor loudspeaker frequency response
> can sometimes go hand in hand with poor phase response and therefore EQ
> may improve both! But if your speaker has a good FR and phase response,
> and you apply EQ because of room acoustics this won't be good for phase
> response.
>
> EQ and DRC are fine but room acoustics should be the first line of
> attack. Unfortunately, few of us can have a purpose built room -
> goodness knows mine isn't! - but applying a few physical treatments is
> practical enough for most people.
>
> It may come across that I am DSP bashing but that isn't true. If you
> want to use DSP then I won't argue. But I would add (and I am sure you
> agree Mynb) one should try to fix the physical space - the cause of
> most problems - as much as possible first.
> Darren

Yep I basically agree ? sorry for my contradictory and partly confused
posting style :) I have modest treatment and DRC in the bass, I think
phase in speakers is red herring it has lead to speakers with 1st order
xover with far worse problems than it cures .

But that does not counter the need to sometimes tweak the tone for some
records .

Btw Meridian speakers are aware of the time domain the balance also
adds delay as you are of-center if need balance and there also is a
height correction depending how you are seated regarding the speakers
height .

Actually I don't know if the tilt control does something timew domain
but I never had problems with it.

--
Mnyb

sub.