I'm still waiting for my replacement M-DAC (Original unit had a
defective relay and was returned in December!), so can't really write
from experience.

The USB connection offers one key advantage thanks to the asynchronous
communications it enables (this should greately reduce jitter). It is
limited to 96 kHz but should definitely be worth investigating.

One other consideration is electrical isolation (mainly form power
supplies pollution). You may want to try using a USB isolator (£20-30
from Olimex or Danish online shop) -Cable quality should not matter,
provided the cable is good enough for bog standard USB applications-, or
a Toslink/Optical connection with SPDIF (up to 192 kHz sampling rate if
so inclined).

>From what I gather from communications with John Westlake, the MDAC
designer, its likely that the best results will be achieved via the USB
interface and an isolator.

PS: John plans on designing a 192kHz USB interface for the MDAC, which
may be even better, but that's still just a concept.