Triode wrote:
> This is interesting.  I thought you were using a period count of 4.  In
> this case the period count is so large it hits another limit (total
> buffer size) in the driver.  This means that the period size/period time
> are constrained and in this case are far lower than even the default
> values.  So with these settings you are getting a period_time of 5.8ms
> which is less than the default 10ms. However I also maintain you will
> see this with both EDO 0.6 and 0.7.
>
> For this setting you will get exactly the same active values with buffer
> time of 100000 and a period count of 16.  The limiting factor is the max
> buffer size which is 32k bytes or 4096k frames.  So by setting the
> period count to 16 you are forcing the max period size to be 256 frames
> which is 5804us at 44.1k sample rate.  In this case you will get the
> same values for any size of buffer time of 92864 (16*5804) and above.

With spdif out I was using a period count of 4. Setting the buffer time
to 999999999 gave period and buffer sizes of 1024/4096 for all sample
rates.

With lower buffer time the buffer size and period size would be smaller.
The exact buffer cut off that allows this behaviour is somewhere between
100000 and 999999999.

cheers