jh901 wrote:

> 2) I'm using the coax output of the Transporter for now, but I'm
> switching to AES since the rest of my system is balanced.  Are any of
> the Transporter outs considered superior (for sound quality)?  Most
> importantly, is the digital output from the Transporter being clocked by
> the Cary? (I get confused about "Master/Slave")
>
> Josh

There is no way to tell which connection method is going to be the best
before hand, you just have to try them. There are far to many variables
in implementation and cables to make generic judgements.

No, the transporter is not being clocked by the Cary, it's a one way
connection between the Transporter and the Cary. IF the Cary had a word
clock output the Transporter could be slaved to it, but from reading the
website I see no mention made of a wordclock  output. So most likely
there is a traditional receiver in the Cary which uses a PLL to extract
the  clock from the digital signal coming from the  Transporter. This is
almost guaranteed to be significantly higher jiter than the internal
clock in the Cary. The sales literature spends time talking about how
low jitter the internal clock is, but nothing about how good the input
receiver is, so it's probably fairly generic. (If a company has spent
effort making a very low jitter receiver they usually make a big deal
about it, the Cary does not)

The upshot is that there is not a lot you can do about it, try the three
different connection methods and see what you like the best, stick with
that.

I am the one who  is not particularly fond of AES/EBU, sometimes it can
sound the best, but my experience has been that in a lot of cases it is
NOT the best sounding interface.

John S.