What is the firmware version on your Touch? Older firmware had a bug
that would rapidly switch to  44.1 on any sample rate change, such as
going from 88.2 to 96 it would switch to 44.1 for a few miliseconds
which could cause some DACs fits. But you are having problems with 96 to
44.1 so that is probably  not the issue.

Let me know what firmware you are using and I'll stick a logic analyzer
on the Touch and see what  the coax output is doing when changing sample
rates. Who knows, it might be doing something strange.

John  S.