Thanks again for all your input - its much appreciated.
In Rotel's defence, they sent me via FTP server, hi-res test files to
test how the DAC handles them.
I played them in 2 ways:

1) VIA a USB stick connected to an Oppo BDP-95, which was connected to
the Rotel using the same digital cable.
The files played perfectly.

2) VIA the same USB stick connected to the SBT, connected to the Rotel
using the same digital cable.
The DAC would "stick" on the 88KHz to 44.1KHz sequence. Go figure!

So....I can't entirely attribute this issue to the Rotel. Rather, it
appears to be a relationship that's sour :-)