SBGK wrote:
> I would be more persuaded by this torchured logic if the main proponents
> immediately saw the error of their ways and sold off their multi
> thousand $ dacs etc
>
> xx

Personally I know of 3 audiophile friends give up on expensive cables
and convert everything over to excellent Mogami or Belden cables over
the last couple years (we're talking Nordost and Synergistics) after
doing tests for themselves.

As for DAC's, I've done A-B shootouts between China-made $200 DAC's with
those costing thousands with friends (easy to do) and have never heard a
significant difference. Each time, the folks owing the expensive stuff
saying something to the effect of "I could live with that!"

I believe the majority of audiophiles are economically well-to-do folks
willing to spend thousands of $$$'s on the hobby. IMO most of it is just
pride of ownership rather than the idea that many of us have ever
conducted controlled trials of the stuff. Naturally, it does seem odd to
own $20+K speakers and then show your buddy the $200 DAC. It seems
unintuitive just like how sampling theory may seem unintuitive as well
(in reference to another thread). However, that is exactly what my
experience has been...  As I type this, I'm totally happy driving my
Sennheiser HD800 with the above $200 DAC/headphone amp combo and "know"
based on experience that I'm not missing anything of significance.