I agree that the very limited availability of lossless content is an
issue that the industry seems unwilling to address - to their own
detriment. Additionally, as a music loving consumer today I'm faced
with:
- very few (if any) record stores with decent depth and breadth of
catalogue beyond the current so called top 20
- limited availability in my neighbourhood/ country of CDs by artists I
enjoy (sure, I can order them through the local stores, pay a hefty
premium and wait 4-7 weeks for them to arrive)
- very limited ability to purchase music in lossless format
- (often) poorly mastered CDs with little to no dynamic range
- (many) popular music artists putting out completely forgettable albums
containing a single or two that you'd spin for a few days/ weeks and
then spit out like old chewing gum. How many really classic albums have
been released since Nirvana's heyday?

The end result is artists putting out disposable crap are ignored and I
buy a lot less than I otherwise would (you can gear their current crap
on the radio anytime you care to turn it on for at least a month
following release --- it's meaningless drivel anyhow), and when I do, if
it's not a lossless download from places like Bandcamp it's usually an
album from a musician whose music I know well, ordered from Amazon.

I'd not be at all surprised if it was found that the overwhelming
majority of music piracy is carried out by teens and people in their
20's and the pirated content is the mindless drivel/ disposable crap I
refer to above - it is after all stuff that has little to no artistic or
intrinsic value and it's probably treated accordingly.