garym wrote:
> Well, I understand your point, but I respectfully disagree. Without
> digging two deeply into experimental design, in my own field we tend to
> look at statistical tests of hypotheses and consider things like
> parameter estimates from something like an OLS regression equation or
> ANOVA, etc. and we want to know the p-value associated with the
> parameter estimate rather than only whether the estimate is either
> significant or not based on the pre-planned significance level
> cutoff.<snip>
Exactly. Statistical significance is only "significant or not" with
respect to a particular (and generally arbitrary) cutoff value such as
0.01, 0.05, etc. The relevant underlying statistic, the p-value, is
continuous, not binary. So there is nothing wrong with the "extremely
high degree" or "barely significant" statements.