desertrat58 wrote:
> I have a long cable run to the speakers. The speakers are active studio
> monitors and a subwoofer (2.1, as they say), and have both balanced and
> single-ended in/outputs. I use the balanced analog out of the TP because
> of the distance, and I was already cabled for this. I don’t go much
> below -20db on the TP volume control, so I don’t think I’m losing too
> many bits..?
>
> This is just a temporary fix, because my preamp with necessary phono
> stage will be sent out for repair soon. If this were a long-term
> commitment, I'd have many options to pursue this route with my speakers.
> Each has some gain adjustment, and getting the components closer
> together opens up the possibilities for balanced vs. single-ended
> comparisons.
>
> Did I mention I love my Transporter? As someone mentioned earlier, a
> classic indeed...

Ah ok , your active monitors they have some sort of volume/gain I assume
so that you can pre set a sane level .

And as most of your music is 16bit anyway ,you could get rather low in
volume before it "eats" bit 16 ( volume is implemented as 24 bit ) and
then you would not hear that as the volume is so low , given correct
gain . As the DAC chip in TP probably is of some sort of delta sigma or
"one" bit type it's linearity is good all the way down you just gets
closer to the noise floor .

Another practical effect no is that no audio equipment is really 24 bit
anyway sn ratio is not 144dB it is usually in the 100db range and the
transporter is excellent here is not closer to 120dB but my piont is
that at best you can get 20-21 bit practical resolution out of a DAC
many simpler ones represents 18 bit practical resolution .

Wonder if transporters volume algorithm just truncates or use dithering
if it dithered when changing resolution it would be perfect and I would
not be bothered at all ( like my meridian setup which uses some kind of
combination of analog and digital volume with dithering ) .

I don't think there is any practical loss of resolution to be bothered
with with a 24 bit volume controll given sane gain on the analog side .
And besides the noise levels of recordings is such that bits >20 is just
garbage anyway even in the best of circumstances as ADC has the same
problems , and the dynamic range practically used is not even close ,
given typical background noise and sane listening levels how much
dynamic range do you have use for .

Sorry for the off topic I find this interesting :)

If you are really nerdy try this , get a bunch of test sounds recorded
at very low levels like -70dB -80dB -90dB -100dB -110dB -115dB etc keep
your volume at your "normal" listening level , sit in your listening
position can you hear any of them ?

You could re test with volume at what is " normal " for a very good
recording like classical and also your " party volume " the highest you
practically use .

You could also,test at full volume to se where the noise floor is but
this is less interesting as you don't listen at this level .
For a ->110dB signal you probably have to walk rigth up,to the speaker
and put your ear close to a driver to hear it .

The interesting part