Archimago wrote:
> BTW: If anyone has the CD copy, it would be interesting to check if
> there's evidence of high signal into 22kHz. This is a case where not
> only is 24/192 questionable, but the unfiltered unusual ultrasonic
> content above 22kHz could really make this sound worse than the CD.
I only have the regular cd and the sibilance in the voice can´t be
related to the peaks at these high frequencies of your graph. On the cd
the noisefloor is flat on silent parts. On several parts when an
instrument comes in i see noise rising steeply on to 22kHz.
This looks like on that instrument track was used some highly
noise-shaped dither. Most likely that instrument was captured at 16/44.1
and was put into the mix.
This doesn´t matter on the 16/44.1 version but makes a higher sampling
rate version a bit weird looking (spectral). They surely used 24/192 or
higher for mastering. Since HDtracks sells masters, this is most likely
very real. Nothing to complain. You asked for the master, you got it.
Of course the question is now if sound engineers have to master their
masterpiece looking good in spectral graphs or is it enough to sound
right!?