I'd recommend the Beatles mono box set.  The original '87 CDs are stereo
mixes (which are not definitive) and were poorly mastered.  I'm not sure
why you would listen to The Beatles only for "nostalgia" though!?  We
don't pop on Beethoven or Mozart for nostalgia do we?

I'll also strongly suggest that most of those who own many CDs or LPs do
not have the best representation of a given album.  In fact, I'd bet on
it.  Now I wouldn't suggest that the best Buddy Holly (Hoffman mastered)
or Ella Fitzgerald (DCC Gold- Hoffman) CDs will sound so different that
the recording technique cannot be distinguished.  Likely the opposite.
But nevertheless, the difference will be shocking.