trott3r wrote:
> IIRC you can look at the dead wax and see the stamper run.
> Ideally it would be A/1 stamped with the A or 1 being the first run
> using the
> stamper.

Yes, you can generally pick up a lot of info about a LP by looking at
the markings in the plastic just outside the label, but...

1. If you are buying a new record, there is no way to see this info
prior to purchase. I don't think a record store would be very happy with
you pulling the shrink wrap off of dozens of albums in order to find the
closest relative of the original master.

2, If you are buying used records, you can check this info, but odds are
that'll be the only copy in the place, leaving you with a buy/don't buy
decision. Even if there are multiple copies, since the records are used,
the more distant copy may have been treated better than the one with the
more desirable stamper info.

3. Even if you can view the info, this doesn't tell you if that
particular record was pressed at the very beginning of that stamper run
or was the last one pressed before the stamper was discarded due to
wear.

There simply a "wild card" aspect to buying LPs that is well beyond the
control of a buyer (unless you're buddies with someone important at the
pressing plant....)