Zombie wrote:
> Oi! What about the question:
> "Since I'm considering purchasing some of the remastered Beatles LPs, I
> was wondering if anyone had a chance to compare two or more of the same
> LPs?"
> (Personally I'd go for the mono mixes, unless they have made a miracle
> with the dull "beatles stereo" in the early albums.)

I may be an odd case, but I actually prefer the 'double mono' mixes on
the early Beatles LPs. On proper mono mixes of "Please Please Me" and
"With the Beatles", I just find that the instruments and voices are
tightly squished against each other leaving no information about the
recording room etc. On the extreme left-right panning of the stereo
mixes, I can hear much more 'air' and relative positioning of various
instruments. I find that much more enjoyable to listen to.

I have a few different pressings of various Beatles LPs (many copies of
"Abbey Road" and "Sgt. Peppers", as well as the White Album etc.). Each
and every one of those copies sound notably different from other copies.
Some are dead/muffled sounding, some are okay but lack certain punch,
some are good in upper register but lacking bass, and on and on.
Overall, extremely hard to find a decent sounding LP that would deliver
uniform frequency range while retaining the liveliness of the music. I
am now left wondering if we are to expect the same maddening variability
in the new batch of the Beatles analog remasters?