So I'm sure many of you fondly remember the series of articles in The
Absolute Sound stating, among other things, that the brand of CD-R made
an audible difference. So there is a letter to the editor in the latest
edition, where the writer states that he had been skeptical of the
findings. But then he had an opportunity to listen to a very high end
system. He listened to a .flac, and it sounded tight/closed/etc. Then he
converted that .flac to a .wav, played the .wav on the same system, and
everything opened up, better positioning in the sound stage etc. My head
exploded...