heisenberg wrote:
> An interesting thing happened to me yesterday. I've purchased Les
> Nubians "Princesses Nubiennes" CD and ripped it to AIFF and then sat
> down to listen in amazement. Why in amazement? Because I've previously
> had that CD ripped in 320 kbps mp3 format and was listening to it for
> years, so I am intimately familiar with the material and with the sound
> quality (the origin of those mp3s is a bit, erm, shady). But now, when
> listening to the same material on lossless AIFF, the differences in the
> sound quality were, to say the least, stunning. Suddenly, the soundstage
> opened, the bass extended deep down, the highs became 'civilized' and
> silky, and on and on, I could rant the whole day about the
> improvements.
>
> So my question is: are the perceived differences to be attributed to the
> differences in formats (lossy vs. lossless), or to the differences in
> ripping the contents of the CD? (fyi, I've used the regular iTunes
> ripping procedure).

So you compared a lossy rip of a CD which maybe from a different
release/master with a new lossless CD rip and you expected them to sound
the same? Was this a proper ABX test? I'm guessing not.

The comparison is completely invalid as a test of lossy vs lossless. The
only way to do that is to take the lossless rip you just did and convert
it at varying bitrates and ABX each lossy copy against the original
lossless. That way you'll check when you can start to hear a difference,
if at all.