heisenberg wrote:
> Interesting (and shocking, to me at least).
>
> Would the same be true for ABX-ing red book vs. hi rez format of the
> same track?

IMO yes , given given that it really is the same track ( the 16bit is
derived from the same source ) .

Given the hif in my sig , it has DRC tone controlls and cross overs and.
EQ all done digitally . Theoretically it would benefit from a hirez
source signal , it migth even be measurably so , but I have yet to find
it in practice . It does not seem to reach audible levels.
I've only done AB test on it no real X , simply taking my self made test
tracks give the 24bit and 16bit version exactly the same tags and press
the shuffle button , sometimes I have duplicated the same tracks lets
say 5 hirez and 5 low res versions and shuffled and then used skip to
flit arround to the next track . If I want to check what I'm listening
to I can pause the playlist and go down to file details and there you
can se bit and fs .