Gandhi wrote:
> I must say that I'm impressed with all these advanced features!
>
> 1. The HAP-Z1Es also includes Sony’s new “DSD Remastering Engine", which
> according to Sony “combines a high-performance DSP (digital signal
> processing) and FPGA (field-programmable gate array) to convert *any
> signal* into DSD128 signals", as ralphnj already has noted.
>
> 2. For compressed music files Sony has developed DSEE (Digital Sound
> Enhancement Engine) technology, which restores upper frequencies and the
> “tail” of waveforms that were truncated by lossy compression schemes.
>
> The first feature is actually possible to disable and the second must be
> pure magic! What's not to like? :-)

Let's take them one by one.

Converting all inputs into DSD - isn't the audiophile mantra supposed to
be the less processing the better? Seems like encoding everything to DSD
for playback adds lots of processing to the signal. But, hey, it is DSD
and DSD is the latest and greatest audiophile buzzword.

Digital Sound Enhancement Engine - this nonsense has been tried before
and each and every time what the fancy given to the process, the process
ALWAYS turns out to be some form of frequency equalization - I'm 100%
positive that Sony's much hyped "Digital Sound Enhancement Engine" is
also nothing more than some equalization. But, hey, it is
DSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos