I don't have any real argument for you except what I hear. I hear a
small improvement with native DSD and with DSD over hi-res resamples to
PCM of DSD. It is possible that this is simply my DAC being better at
converting DSD, although I don't think it is only this, as I have heard
it under different circumstances.

DSD sounds different. I am far from the only one who thinks so. To some
ears it is better and more analog like, to other ears it is "Soft". We
can agree to disagree on that, it is a matter of taste.

As regards a player like the SONY that upsamples PCM to DSD, again,
sounding better is a matter of taste, not ideology. You can make
whatever argument you want, if some people think it sounds better, then
I think that's great for them. The argument is no more useful than
whether tubes sound better than SS or are euphonic distortion, or
whether vinyl sounds better than digital. Basically a useless argument,
whidh cannot be won.

Your argument about too many recording/playback formats is a good one.
It may be the reason DSD doesn't really succeed.

GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Tranquil PC fanless server running
Windows 7 via FW> Mytek 192 DSD DAC;Odyssey Kismet (Khartago case)
Stereo Amp; Devore Gibbon 9 Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional
use);  SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car;SB Boom and SB Touch
in additional rooms. Arcam CD82 which I don't use anymore, even though
it's a very good player.