darrenyeats wrote:
> Julf, yes it's a sum of sine waves (kind of, for the purposes of this
> discussion) but where do we actually test a sum of sine waves?

When testing for intermodulation. Two is "many", any additional ones are
just extension of the same model.

A single sine wave test reveals non-linearity, a two-wave test reveals
intermodulation effects. What additional things do you think a third or
257th additional wave would reveal?

> We know the sampling theorem is proven so the theoretical grounding of
> digital audio is beyond discussion. But we know real equipment isn't
> perfect. It isn't perfectly linear, it doesn't have instantaneous
> infinite power available etc. All I'm saying is that we can reason about
> the Fourier Transform in maths, but it might be an assumption too far
> that real equipment will obey the mathematical equations.

Real equipment will obey the mathematical equations - the only question
is if our equations are complete and sufficient. Neither the sampling
theorem nor the fourier series (the transform is a mathematical tool)
assume (or require) "perfect" equipment.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953