SBGK wrote:
> with mp3 vs cd all that is required is to find a complicated bit of
> music and it will be evident that the psychoacoustics employed by mp3
> cannot resolve the detail and it becomes slurred, no A/B testing
> required just listen to a 10s segment for slurred detail compared to the
> CD version, the detail is either there or not there.
I find it depends on the MP3 bit rate and probably also on the software
used to encode it.

At 128 kbps I can hear a definite difference through headphones (less so
through speakers).  As you say, the music slurs fine detail -
particularly what I would call micro-dynamics and high frequencies.
Most noticeable on the leading edges of notes and high frequency
percussion (cymbals etc) which tend to stand out from the mix with my
FLAC files but are less obvious on the MP3.  Also there is an overall
lack of clarity that reduces the spatial separation of instruments
across the stereo field.  Going from 128 kbps MP3 to FLAC the music
simply becomes more comprehensible - it snaps into focus.

In reality the effect is pretty obvious and not as subtle as the above
description might imply.

At 320 kbps MP3 the high frequencies and clarity is improved
substantially and I doubt whether I would be able to tell the difference
between 320 kbps MP3 and full CD standard 16/44.1 on a blind test.  Mind
you that is probably mainly due to my 54 year old ear-brain interface
with its mild tinnitus and high frequency roll-off!

I have about half my music collection on my Samsung S3 mini smartphone.
They are encoded as 128 kbps MP3 so I can squeeze them onto a 32 GB
micro SD card.  One day I will be able to buy a 512 GB micro SD and a
phone that will take it - in which case I will be able to carry around
my entire music collection as FLAC files.  Hopefully my hearing will
hold out until then :)

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* Two SB Duets (Living room and kitchen)
*Server:* Synology DS111 (2TB) NAS running LMS 7.7.2
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
access point
*Livingroom:* Receiver, Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver, Topping TP20 Mk2 Class T amp, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.