Audiotic wrote:
> Both were set to max. I know typically a louder one may sound better.
> But here they were *close enough* in level. Same music, same server for
> both... (Emphasis added)
"Close enough" isn't really good enough for true blind testing. Cranking
the output knob of two different devices to max is not the same as level
matching, since one circuit will almost certainly have more gain than
the other.

Without pulling the books off the shelf, I believe it has been
demonstrated clearly that level differences of less than a dB are not
perceived as one source being louder than the other, but still have an
impact as to which sounds "better".

But, as I've noted in the past, there is a big difference between
deciding one's personal preference based on a test where certain aspects
are not well controlled versus reaching a conclusion as to which is item
is superior in a true scientific sense.