Fizbin wrote:
> I'm one of those 'weirdo's that can hear the difference between WAV and
> FLAC on the SBT. I have two units and I have confirmed it on both. I've
> had a friend come over a few times and randomly play a WAV file and the
> FLAC counterpart. For the first half hour I could tell him which was
> which...After that it got harder to tell, from fatigue. Sometimes he
> would play the same file format twice, to try and trick me, to no avail.

That is indeed an interesting result. What I would do is to try to
reproduce the results under even stricter conditions - have your friend
put together a playlist with a random combination of the FLAC and WAV
versions, and preferably try with a file that has been compressed with
different FLAC compression settings. Then do the test, writing down your
guesses (without your friend seeing what you write down), and make sure
neither of you can see any displays or other things that might give you
hints - or even better, make sure you can't see your friend until after
the test, when he/she can verify the results.

However, I have found something interesting and confusing at the same
time, which is why I'm posting. I changed one setting in the File Format
Conversion Setup and now FLAC's sound identical (to me) to WAVs. And I'm
not sure why that would be.

I hope somebody who is better acquainted with the LMS/SBT transcoding
process jumps in, but normally the FLAC file would be sent unprocessed, as
a FLAC stream, to the SBT. Your change makes LMS transcode the file - but
I am not sure what format LMS decides to use as the target format.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953