Julf wrote:
> Not sure about the "violates nyquist" part - it is, as you say, a
> well-known issue, and the simple solution is to have sufficient headroom
> in analog stages or in any DSP operations where the wave data is
> recalculated.
>
> One of the actual benefits of the "Mastered for iTunes" standard is that
> it tests for intersample peak clipping.

So easilly solved not really a problem if the recording is properly done
, the more interesting part i think is that it can be more benign in the
studio and then turn out quite horrible for the consumer or unexpected
effects for radio stations and streamers .
THe autors of these papaers wonder if some sound engineers actually hear
the full extent of their damage .

Apple also provides software tools so that the master engineer can scan
for intersample peaks and also listen after typical iTunes encoding ,
supose any halfwitted engineer already have similar tools anyway ,but
they are concerned enough to offer them to anyone planning on delivering
a master !
And they also want 24 bit files . That is interesting as others quietly
emulate this , the streaming services and thier aggregators starts to
amass masters of slightly better quality at some minimum standard .

I also wonder if lossy decoding actually gets better if it start from a
24/96 master ? (but now I left my own topic )

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)