I once thought about a way to losslessly create a 6dB headroom but only
got critics :)
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98706-Idea-to-increase-quot-Headroom-quot-with-lossless-volume-change

I also have the feeling attenuating helps in a way. I could swear my old
PCM63 was distorting much more often my poor magnetostats with clipped
music. Since i use my Transporter as preamp i always stay clearly away
from 0dB and hear these distortions much less.
I have no correct comparisons and maybe the PCM63 simply does other
things wrong and not this clipping to create this.

Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA
monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers