ralphpnj wrote:
> Hey wait a minute I also have a Linn LP12 turntable and it WAS one of
> the best audio purchases I ever made. Here's why - back in the late
> 1980s and throughout the 1990s while everyone was busy getting rid of
> their LPs and (re)buying everything on CD because of the Linn my records
> sounded really good, good enough in fact for me to keep them and NOT buy
> the CD version. Since I bought the Linn used and I was not spending any
> money buying my music collection all over again I'm pretty sure that I
> actually came out ahead money wise.

Smart move getting it used.  I bought mine new, and it was really
expensive here in the States, like $550 for the Ittok arm, $850 for the
table, and $600 for the Karma cartridge (stupid choice).  At that time,
my record collection was not very big, and in pretty bad shape, so I did
need to replace many of them anyway.  It was a nice table though.  I had
a black one, and also got one of those wall-mount shelves from Target in
the UK, and it was black too.  The combination made a really handsome
package, and the wall-mount shelf totally eliminated the skipping and
unsteadiness issues.

I do remember in the early days of CD, selection was bad, and they were
typically more expensive in absolute dollars than they are today, even
with no inflation adjustment.  I ended up building up my collection very
slowly because of that.  Then it seems in about 2000 they started
releasing many obscure titles, and the prices got a lot more reasonable
due to the competition brought on by online CD sales, so I bought a lot
of CDs around that time.