I started collecting records as a kid in about 1975, and only started
collecting CDs about 1987.  CDs were a godsend for classical music --
particularly large symphony works with a large dynamic range -- because
you didn't have to worry about the  surface noise inevitably accumulate
no matter how well you cared for your records.  Listening to the quiet
parts of a Mahler symphony could feel like falling into a snow drift of
vinyl surface noise.  The playback equipment I had in the 90s was only
OK (two different B&O tables), but even with the pretty good playback
equipment I have now (Michell Gyro SE with an SME 309 arm) and a record
cleaning machine, I don't feel that records sound better than CDs except
in cases where the analog transfer was botched.