Yeah, I know what you're all thinking already, but.....

More than a year ago I noted that there was a fairly obvious right
speaker dominance---I even measured a 2 -3 db spl difference.  The short
story is that after checking all of the interconnects, speaker cables,
removing and replugging-in everything, cleaning contacts, etc. I figured
it must be room issues, and physically repositioned the speakers to pull
the center image back to the left.  This meant unevening the r/h speaker
distance from my listening position both right/left and front/back.  Not
an optimal solution, I felt, but it seemed to compensate enough.

On an unrelated matter, I just had occasion to swap the USB cable (a
standard A/B cable) running from my server to my dac.  I don't recall
where the original USB cable came from...something inexpensive and off
the shelf.  While I suspect the brand is probably not relevant, the new
USB is a relatively modestly priced ($40) cable from a company called
Supra.  After swapping the cable, I sat down to listen and make sure
that the music was still going to play and immediately noticed that the
center image was now pulled about 4 feet to the left!  Huh....that's
strange, thought I, so I put the old cable back and image was back to
centered.  Needless to say I reinstalled the Supra cable and went
through the process of repositioning my speakers to be equidistant from
my listening position, the image was perfectly centered, and then
remeasured the SPL levels...now equal from each speaker.

Clearly the old USB cable was defective in some way....I have no idea
what defect may have caused this particular problem but, as nothing else
had changed in my system the obvious culprit was the USB cable.  And,
no, I'm not going to make any gratuitous claims about how sound quality
has vastly improved, but at least the mystery of why the right speaker
was louder is solved.

Rg

System information
Main: Vortexbox/Squeezelite > USB> Benchmark DAC2 D > LFD LE IV
Signature amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers.

Home Theatre:  Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic
5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.0 - 0.71.20150313git1426153261 on a 1TB Micro Vortexbox
Appliance, V 2.3.