jkeny wrote:
> If only the so-called scientific minded would just show some semblance
> of inquisitiveness, it would be a refreshing break from the usual
> cynicism of everything that is usually demonstrated by those who are
> afraid of expressing an interest in some audio aspect that might be of
> interest. Sure, there are a fair few audiophile reports that are
> mistaken or wildly hyperbolic but that doesn't men that you need to
> close your mind to all new possibilities. Ask some questions before
> summarily dismissing the report.
>
> So, I ask again of rgro - something that seems to have been overlooked -
> is there a sonic difference between the two USB ports that you have
> used?

Here's something I learned from a very wise thermodynamics professor
many years ago - when someone tries to sell you a perpetual motion
machine the first thing you need to do is an energy balance of the
machine and once you do the energy balance you will quickly discover
that the machine is nothing more than a con. This is ALWAYS true because
any and all perpetual motion machines violate one or more of the three
basic laws of thermodynamics. Notice that I used the word "law" since
the three basic rules of thermodynamics are not rules or theories or
axioms but LAWS and LAWS cannot be broken or even bent.

Now a lot of the claims within the high end audio world are pretty much
the equivalent of breaking physical LAWS. For example if a piece of
music has a dynamic range of 65db then a bit depth of 16 is more than
enough and increasing the bit depth to 24 has absolutely no effect on
the 65db dynamic range of the piece music. Why? Because that is how
things work. Of course you will tell me that I have closed mind, however
I think that I have an open mind which happens to have a good filtering
system, a system that can tell me when what is being proposed is within
the realm of possibilities or outside that realm. If it is outside the
realm of possibilities, i.e. does not adhere to physical laws or
violates those laws, then I dismiss it for BS.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos