Archimago wrote:
> :rolleyes:
> Yeah... Not tough to fake a log at all.

Well, that was the old release of Foobar2000 ABX.

Coincidentally, our experience with the AVS ABX testing was followed up
by some serious upgrades to Foobar2000 ABX that are now part of the
distributed product.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_abx

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=107354&view=findpost&p=879072

Example:
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=107570&view=findpost&p=904315

(1) The comparator now produces a checksum of the files being compared
that is part of the log. We can confirm what people are actually
listening to and ensure that they are not cooking up their own files and
misrepresenting them as being someone else's.

(2) A checksum is made of the entire ABX log file, and and there is now
a website for independent checksum analysis of logs.

As we all know a single positive test proves nothing, no matter how much
hype may surround it.

My own personal efforts related to this kind of testing resulted in the
development of a methdology for making ABX test files that the listener
could use to validate their test environment. Most recent effort here:

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=109805&view=findpost&p=904308

> Not surprised about the stuffed workbench either. Wasn't he with
> Microsoft or something like that?

For a little more than a decade Amir was VP of the MS Group that
supported Windows Media including device support for a number of
turbulent years. It included some very problematical encoders, decoders,
protocols, utilities and device support.  Eventually, he left after the
collapse of the failed HDCD effort.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/amir-majidimehr/5/4a7/1

"
Corporate Vice President
Microsoft
September 1997 – January 2008 (10 years 5 months)Redmond, Washington
Ran the digital media division (~1000 employees) which included software
development, marketing and business development for the entire suite of
audio, video and digital imaging for Microsoft and consumer electronic
devices. Group created such well-known technologies such as WMA audio
compression, WMV/VC-1 video compression (mandatory in Blu-ray format),
Windows Media DRM, and Windows Media Player.
"

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/37001-amir-majidimehr-leaves-microsoft.html