Archimago wrote:
> http://www.audiostream.com/content/abx-tests-prove-hi-res-audio-legit
>
> Hey Arny. I see Amir's ABX test is being mentioned again in the
> audiophile blogosphere.
>
> Final comments?

Consider the source(s).

The tests and the results are wildly misrepresented.

For example:

"
I'm going to let you read the specifics of the test yourself over on the
What's Best Forum: "Conclusive 'Proof' that higher resolution audio
sounds different". Here's the gist of it. One of the co-creators of the
ABX Comparator, Arny Kruger a staunch supporter of ABX testing, created
a number of files from a 24-bit/96kHz recording he made of keys jingling
(I know, but he's the ABX audio expert). Arny sampled down the original
recoding to 44.1kHz and 32kHz, then resampled them back to the 24/96
original. Arny's contention was no one would be able to pick out the
down sampled files from the original 24/96 file.
Read more at
http://www.audiostream.com/content/abx-tests-prove-hi-res-audio-legit#v02q16IuTkdJp0sp.99
"

In fact I never said any such thing. What I did say was that in a number
of years of experience going back to about Y2K, nobody had been able to
pick out the down sampled files from the original 24/96 file which was
true at the time.

I then received a personal thrashing about the head and shoulders in
which I learned more about hype, cheating on ABX tests, and
misrepresentation of ABX results then I ever wanted to know. ;-)

At this time the matter is in my mind in an indeterminate state because
AFAIK there was never any retest with similar results, based on new test
files and comparison software that were redesigned and rebuilt based on
the lessons learned.

It seems pretty simple - if the old results were legit, then they could
be recreated by many people including the original testers at will.
That's part of the essence of science. AFAIK it never happened.