How does it work?

Fixing client volume to 100 disables the attenuation on the client,
however, the server-side volume can still be adjusted (it simply will
not be pushed to client).

But any time you reset the volume from the client end, the client pushes
its volume (100) to the server. Same goes for system boot up. This is
why client volume controls must be avoided. Also this is why VolumeLock
plugin must be used.

The gain adjustment is achieved by adding to the Perl code for
convert.conf a new capability, 'G', to control sox gain value. This is
why volume changes on new track, prev/next track and skipping in the
track – this is when convert.conf is reapplied (“tokenized”) in the
code.

Anybody got a better idea? Perhaps this will give inspiration to a
developer to do something a little less hacky! In my defense, I'm not a
developer (though I know Perl).

Regards,
Darren

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/