Wombat wrote:
> A simple volume change only creates an absolutely small rounding error.

Agreed.
Wombat wrote:
> Did you check if a volume change of a 16bit file and playing the 24bit
> result without dither has more degration as the noise from dither. I
> doubt this but to be honest didn't try hard :)
Dither adds noise around the LSB (least significant bit) in this case
24th bit. But truncation errors adds distortion (very non-harmonic)
around the same level.

In relative terms, absolutely dither is the correct way to implement
digital volume control. The question, as you say, is whether you can
hear it or not, but if you can have something technically better for
free ... why not? I love the LMS platform!
Darren

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch