cliveb wrote:
> This widespread belief that vinyl has to be cut from less compromised
> masters due to the limitations of the format is misplaced. There is a
> growing body of evidence that most modern rock/pop LPs are cut from a
> master that is derived from precisely the same hypercompressed master
> used for the CD release. (For sure there are a few where a different
> master was used, but they are the minority).

Ian Shepherd says the same of his own recording here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-AE9dL5FG8.

You can read my comments at the above link (now 11 months old, you'll
need to click "show more").

Ian is convinced that the vinyl can't have more dynamic range on
principal but I think it's mistaken. There are such things as dynamic
range expanders (what limited use they have is for de-compressing
compressed waveforms ... but that happens to be what we're talking
about!)

If you watch Ian's video through, you'll see the vinyl waveform
_measures_ as more dynamic (obviously Ian and yourself aren't
impressed!) but also it _looks_ obviously more dynamic and it _sounds_
more dynamic.

As I asked Ian, "So my question is, what OTHER kind of proof would we
need to accept dynamics have increased? I can't imagine any other kind
of evidence."

I did not receive a proper answer.
Darren

PS: Here you go:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/183049-dbx_1bx_dynamic_range_expander__processor/images/238691/

[image:
http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/large/238690-dbx_1bx_dynamic_range_expander__processor.jpg]

"Expand your mind (the rest will follow)"! Such a device can only make
sense in the situation where a signal has been compressed and you are
reversing this process. I'm certain this process will be far from
perfect, but nevertheless expansion is "A Thing".

Filtering (even an all-pass filter causes this) explains 1-2dB change in
some cases yes, but not the consistent 5+ dB or more gap seen between
digital below DR5 and the equivalent vinyl. Yes, that much. Yes,
consistently.

I don't know whether it's the physical process of cutting vinyl, or some
device the vinyl cutting engineers use in advance of the cutting, but I
have no doubt that the waveform Ian measures, sees and hears as more
dynamic is in fact more dynamic, despite his refusal to accept the
possibility.

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch