Archimago wrote:
> Speaking of paranoia. It looks like Lavorgna is getting more vigilant
> with any comment that disagrees with his ridiculous posts that basically
> demonstrate his lack of understanding and over-reaching thoughts. What a
> convoluted mass of ideas made to justify bizarre beliefs he and
> affiliated writers like Steve Plaskin (geez... seemingly always going on
> about Synergistic Research... enough already!) hold.
>
> (Check out his recent article on Sonification - good job from the
> commenters!)

After a recent set-to over on Head-Fi.org forums Sound Science sub-forum
I have to admit that the battle for the minds of present and future
audiophiles is going to be very rough. For those of you unfamiliar with
Head-Fi, the Sound Science sub-forum is the ONLY place on Head-Fi where
someone can ask for proof, either in the form of clear measurements or
properly conducted double blind tests, of ANY statement or claim. So
basically that means on all the other sub-forum (over 10) someone can
say "This USB cable sounds great!" and have to provide ZERO proof. Kind
of sounds like Stereophile or The Absolute Sound except that these
posters are not getting paid (I hope).

So what is going on now is that there are individuals who post all kinds
audiophile garbage on many of the threads in the Sound Science section
and completely derail any discussion of audio science. By "audiophile
garbage" I am referring to the statements like "not everything can be
measured" or "but there are people who clearly hear the difference" or
better yet "but there are people who clearly hear jitter". And when
asked to provide proof they just evade the request and a flame war soon
follows and the thread gets closed. But then I'm afraid that Head-Fi is
going the way of the Computer Audiophile site - indirectly bought and
paid for by the manufacturers. Indirectly just like the audio
publications with special treatment (in home setups by company
presidents/owners, travel junkets, dinners, etc.), long term equipment
loans ;) and sponsorship (aka ad revenue).

Meanwhile bluetooth speakers are still selling like crazy and lossy
streaming is becoming the preferred way to listen to music.

High end audio may be winning some battles but they are clearly losing
the war.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos