drmatt wrote:
> I didn't say I demo them in the dealer other than as a taster...
>
> I generally found I can judge the relative merits of a bunch of speakers
> in the dealer to then try out a couple at home. And mostly I've been
> experimenting with electronics not speakers.

Given that electronic tend to sound the same, and that speakers almost
always sound different, it is hard to see what useful information can be
generated by the strategy suggested above.

> I also found that since I knew the dealer's room so well I can listen to
> a speaker there and have a decent idea how it will sound at home..

That would be true if rooms affected the sound of speakers consistently,
but they don't. A room can tend towards one kind of coloration with some
speakers, and another kind of coloration with others.

For example, consider speakers with broad directional coverage versus
those with narrow directivity.  A room will generally color the sound of
the broad directivity speaker more, so that what you know about how it
colors sound with some speakers will mislead when auditioning other
speakers.  Furthermore, speakers are generally very inconsistent in this
area, so if you want to learn how the room colors speakers, you have to
learn how it sounds with every different speaker.

> And any fool who lets the dealer choose the demo music is soon to be
> parted with their hard earned.

Any one who can't tell that speakers in general sound different, and
electronics in general sounds the same will be parted from his cash even
faster.