cliveb wrote:
> Not just the leave campaigners. Both sides are behaving equally badly.
> The remain camp is playing the fear card so much they could well end up
> alienating some of their natural supporters.

Is this post sincere or a put on? If sincere it clearly identifies its
creator as being anti-remain. This seems to be consistent with the rest
of the post.

> It's gratifying to hear that you know some of the things that will
> definitely happen if Britain leaves the EU.

Unlike many I seem some rhyme and reason to human events which enables
some accurate predictions about future events and consequences.

> Knowing those things would certainly help me (and others) decide which
> way to vote, so perhaps you would be kind enough to tell us what they
> are?

My first observation is that I'm responding to a  post from someone who
has probably already made up their mind, and attempting to reason with
them further is probably unproductive.

> What works well for the US isn't necessarily what would work well for
> Europe. The two regions' histories are very different.

Right. The US at this time is largely composed of Europeans and their
descendants. Census statistics suggests mostly of a german (small g
denoting germanic as opposed to just citizens of germany) background.
They generally came here because they perceived that the European system
was just not working for them, one way or the other.

I've been in the UK and Europe, even had a permanent residence in
Germany. The countrysides are similar enough to not make a difference
other than the US we have plenty of available real estate (to this day)
which was centuries ago all pretty much all spoken for in the UK and
Europe. The people who stayed behind in Europe were either lacking good
reasoning power or they thought that the European  system was working
for them.  It was working in its way, but maybe not so  much for them.
History shows that about 60 years ago the UK nationalized its major
industries which caused major chaos and loss, and probably did as much
as anything to put UK citizens into German and Japanese cars as
anything. Us old guys can remember when the UK car industry was a major
influence on the world marketplace. We saw a lot of their cars on the
roads over here. Some of us (myself included) even owned some.

My ancestors came to the US around the turn of the 20th century. They
quickly became successful and far more than merely self-sufficient as
farmers, merchants and tradesmen. They watched in wonder and amazement
while Europe hosted two world wars, a number of ruinous and dramatic
political changes (such as the Russian revolution) (my family were White
Russians and many including my paternal grandfather were officers in the
Czar's army until they deserted) and numerous other wasteful adventures.
Can't they just get along? Stalin murdered about 29  million White
Russians in the late 20s and 30s. Good thing we left before then.  Waste
on the level that some Europeans seem to favor hurts us all. Always
did.

I see the Brexit as just another one of those adventures, hopefully it
remains on a far smaller scale then the biggies. Next time I go to
Chicago and cross three state lines rather casually each way (small road
signs that you can easily overlook  mark the borders), I'll be reminded
of how fond some are of putting up manned, armed checkpoints and other
major roadblocks to travel and commerce every 2-300 miles, not to
mention dramatically changing the language. Full employment for petty
bureaucrats seems to be the goal.