arnyk wrote:
> Attack me as a person as you will. It still won't make the myths you
> seem to believe in, and your utter misunderstanding of the topic at
> hand, relevant or true.
>
> I never said: "That the level of quantisation noise  is equal to that of
> the recording in order to capture it." Given the insulting tone of your
> post it is hard to say if you are intentionally publishing untruths, or
> simply innocently unaware of how digital audio technology works. In any
> case your post and the relevant facts about digital audio have nothing
> to do with each other.
>
> A key sentence: "Difficulty hearing speech in background noise—a poor
> SNR—often leads to dissatisfaction with hearing-assistance devices." In
> fact speech and music in modern recordings that meet the usual
> professional standards is at a far higher level than that of any noise
> in the recording as compared to that related to the use of hearing
> assistance devices, which may higher than that of any speech or music.
>

> I suggest that one and all read this article and see that in fact it has
> nothing at to do with quantization noise. It is about the effects of
> natural ambient noise such as crowd noise, on people's ability to hear
> natural sounds such as speech and music in situations where the actual
> SNR is very poor. In the situations addressed by the cited paper, the
> voice and music may even be at a lower level than the ambient noise.
>

> That's a very hand wavy claim, and one that seems to attempt to
> supercede science with speculation.
You're just being silly, go back and think about it again. Quantisation
will (unless undithered) always add noise. The issue is simply how much
additional noise is perceptible. No hand waving here. Adding -96dB of
noise to -90dB will raise the noise floor to -91. Is that a change? Yes,
is it perceptible? Who knows. Actually someone probably does. Not you.

My original post invited thought and information on the subject not
knee- jerk ranting. I was not suggesting I had produced a definitive
answer, merely establishing the incontrovertible point-that it is clear
that only once one has established the just-noticeable increase in
volume level can one be clear about the bit depth required to produce
transparent quantisation of a given signal.

That I'm not even arguing with any proposition in particular and you're
just arguing out of habit, like a drunken bore at a dinner party.