Sorry if this has already been covered before (I am sure it has), but I
have been out of the loop for while. Recently I thought that my Duet
Receiver took a dump, which got me thinking about upgrading that portion
of my system. I have a need for two Players. One through a Niles whole
home stereo with about 40+ speakers through out the house. This was
where the Duet was placed. The Second player, a Transporter, was for the
separate high "Listening" Stereo. Old infiniity Kappa 9's, Parasound
AMP. I would like to stick with LMS and iPeng, as it is up and running
on my WHS 2011 and it works. My background, I am a reluctant techy. I do
build my own computers, and maintain them. Have a BSME degree from 30
years ago. But there are battles that I choose and battles that choose
not to fight. For this reason, the Transporter is the low effort move.

Thinking that the Duet Receiver had taken a dump got me looking. I
noticed that Transporter SE's are $585 on ebay. But in reading the
forums for a while it looks like there are other alternatives.

One alternative that looked interesting was to use the Duet Receiver and
optical out to an external DAC. This might be a way to buy a product
that can then be used later should I LMS no longer be an option. This is
doable, correct? If so, what DAC's in the $200-$1,000 range might you
all suggest. Are there other options for the transporting the data
portion (receiver portion)

Are there other options. The Rasberry line had me a little confused.....
Do they interface with LMS?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.