The state of the art is to apply a uniform replaygain to your source
files. If that's not perfect (it isn't) then you are only left with
manual intervention. I've just thrown metaflac at each album one by one
with its default target loudness level of about -3db peak I think. Works
well enough to get rid of the gross differences for me.

The only times I've noted major discrepancies is when stumbling across
some files that haven't been processed..

I would agree this is hard to get right on exceptionally dynamic
material like classical, however, where a more simplistic peak level
adjustment is more appropriate, imho.