alfista wrote:
> Yet someone made the claim that a file sounded different the second time
> it was read and didn't like it being called out and refuted based on
> easily verified facts It was subjective, you know, so it shouldn't have
> to stand up to scrutiny.

I think it's more the way it's called out. It was obviously based on
misunderstandings which were corrected pretty smartly but in a way that
was less than charitable.

> Changes in the analogue domain may obviously alter the sound, but I much
> prefer claims that are based on some kind of objective analysis and
> lacking that at least a subjective judgement that stays moderately
> plausible. Dramatic changes due to a different power lead doesn't enter
> that realm, even subtle changes is a stretch.

I agree. And I don't see the point in posh power cables either. And I
don't think anyone other than the outright scammers called out at the
beginning of *this* thread would ever claim anything more than extremely
subtle differences from cable changes. Ignoring the question of "value
for money" of course.

Unfortunately your average hifi nut/audiophile would not have access to
the necessary test equipment to gather proofs.. so what are the options?
The sceptics, like all of us, are quick to talk down things but rarely
offer suggestions as to how to do it instead. (At least I've not seen
much of that here.)