edwardthern wrote:

> I used a Jesse Lite for both running on a RaspberryPi3.
>
> RPI #1 = Squeezelite with no other tweaks. Playing RedBook CD material
> on Flac. Power supply was a standard wallwart.
> RPI #2 = MPD with no other tweaks. Playing the exact same Flac files.
> Standard wallwart.
>
> Both connected to identical Dac's at the same time [AudioGD Ref 7 (one
> borrowed)] which in turn are connected to a AudioGD Master1 Preamp, then
> to a AudioGD Master3 amp. Speakers are Dynaudio.
OK, so you used:
- two different (nominally identical) RPIs
- two different (nominally identical) DACs
- two different (nominally producing the same data output) software
players
And you hear a difference.

Why do you conclude that the difference must be due to the software
players?
Why not due to sample variations in the DACs?
Why not due to sample variations in the RPIs?

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A