drmatt wrote:
> How does speech recognition ability in hearing damaged patients when
> using amplification translate to audio "quality" discernment in hifi
> terms?
>
> For the former I could draw the same conclusions about speech
> recognition ability when talking with a Glaswegian.

If you can't figure out the rotten logic in that statement by yourself
"drmatt" you are truly hopeless. Hint for the clueless: In any
experiment we try to hold as many things constant as possible.

IOW, if we test the intelligibility while listening to  a Glaswegian
while listening over a high quality system with a Glaswegian, then we
also use a Glaswegian for the test of the low quality system. Of course
there is a problem in that the second experiment is affected by some
learning that takes place in the first.

On the chance "drmatt" that you are actually teachable, here is a good
presentation about experimental design:
https://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/examples/exp%20design.ppt

> How is this mechanism related to the concept of noting changes to tone
> of hifi equipment?

ditto.

The question is easy to figure out based on personal observation
provided one has a reasonably open mind.

Everybody with any real world experience has struggled to understand the
meaning of speech under dire auditory conditions, except perhaps you,
"drmatt".

Please come back when you stop fighting with obvious facts.