Julf wrote:
> Indeed. Bill Waslo's 'slides'
> (http://www.libinst.com/Detecting%20Differences%20(slides).pdf) actually
> point out that a timing/phase error as small as 93 ns turns a perfect
> null into a 55 dB one at 1 kHz, and a 0.03 dB level error makes for a 50
> dB null instead of a perfect one. This is why programs such as audio
> diffmaker do is apply crosscorrelation to time align the signals, as
> well as gain equalisation.

Trouble is, this good effort does not address the other problem, which
is that the audibility of various differences varies tremendously.

A good example is jitter. High measurable jitter, particularly if
measured by means of taking time-aligned, gain-aligned, and
frequency-response corrected measurements, can be pretty innocuous
sonically.

A good example of jitter tolerance would be taking the difference
between LP playback and the master tape used to make it. The measurable
differences are huge, but as we know many listeners do  actually prefer
the distorted, noisy sound, or at least tolerate it.