Hi all!

I've finally stumbled across Mr Adams himself discussing using an
external DAC to a Transporter, & his theoretical justification for the
best way to do it...

The discussion comes in a Slim Devices forum thread where Mr Adams is
(very patiently!) trying to explain to someone who has splashed out a
king's ransom on dcs high-end gear why it is the -*wrong*- approach to
use the word clock output from an externally boxed dcs "super clock",
here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-39770.html

To justify his argument, Sean then goes on to reference the following
theoretical exposition (by an Italian chap, in slightly shaky English -
however the logic is quite clear):
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diginterf2_e.html

So there we have it at last. Sean put the word clock in on the
Transporter so that the preferred "backwards" configuration of
connection between transport & external DAC could be used.

Note that the point of the word clock connection is to prevent clock
*-drift-* not to eliminate jitter. It is made quite clear that the
digital jitter will be increased by connectors, cabling & the physical
distance between the clock & the DAC chip. However so long as the jitter
does not become so severe as to affect the actual bit stream, this will
not matter *-since the bit stream is re-clocked in the external DAC
right next to the DAC chip -*if the "backwards" connection arrangement
is used. So any increase in jitter up to that point will be totally
eliminated.

This "backwards" method of connection is precisely the way I have my
Transporter connected to my Mytek Brooklyn DAC, with the 0.8ps jitter
internal DAC clock (right next to the Sable 32 bit floating point DAC
chips) acting as the master clock for the slaved Transporter.

Of course back in 2008 Sean was still singing the praises of the fixed
point 24 bit DAC chips inside the Transporter (which were famously
marketed as "magic") & its 20ps jitter internal clock - but then there
weren't any 32 bit DAC chips back then.

I'm now starting to feel justified in my assertion that I'm getting
superior audible output...

Dave :cool: