Mnyb wrote:
> I will also consider dual subs , this is said to give smoother in room
> response .

Heartily agreed - you can't hear the stereo effect, even so wiring up
dual subwoofers in parallel distributes the bass energy around your room
dynamically (with the recorded stereo effect) & *-does-* serve to reduce
modal resonance.

You also get a little more gain from the extra amplification, so do not
have to drive the subwoofers so hard: this is important since most of
the wattage is used in artificially extending the subwoofer's frequency
response below the natural cone resonant frequency, using electronic
bass boost at the line level (still analogue!).

For reference, I have a pair of 500W B&W PV1s (original model, not he
latest PV!Ds) both of which I purchased second-hand. Hint: my more
recently acquired one was MUCH cheaper (because it as no longer a
current model, it's considerably newer than my original which I have had
reconditioned by B&W. All right, -*fixed*- because I buggered the amp
playing it way too loud... ). Incidentally PV stands for "Pressure
Vessel" - they are spherical to equalise the internal stress of the
(quite small) infinite baffle cabinet.

Since the area of a circle is proportionate to its radius (A = pi x
r2), having 4 x 8" (long-throw & aluminium mica composite)
drivers is equivalent to a single 16" driver (R = sqrt(4 x 4) = sqrt
64... ).

You also get less cone break-up & less over-run (because the driven mass
is lighter) resulting in tighter & more musical bass. Just try it for
yourself, then eat me if it doesn't work for you!  :D

Dave  :cool:

P.S. Even the movie mob have caught on as in Dolby Atmos 11.2 "complete
immersion" surround sound...