Golden Earring wrote:
> You reckon that low output MC cartridges *generally* sound better than
> high output ones: would you carry that generalisation so far as to
> include my original 1980s Koetsu Rosewood Signature, or would you need
> to hear it first to make up your mind? Of course, it's -not- perfect
> (neither am I, wouldn't that be awful?  :D ), but it IS very musical!
I didn't say they sound *better*, just that they have more "boogie
factor". They appear to give a more dynamic sound (in the sense of what
an audiophile might call "faster"), but I'm not sure it is necessarily
better in an objective sense - it could be some kind of distortion that
happens to give the impression of more dynamics. My gut feeling is that
a high end MM like a Shure V15 or similar is probably a more neutral
transducer.

I've never heard a Koetsu, for the very practical reason that I didn't
want to in case it made me need to afford to buy one. But IIRC, Koetsu
cartridges share a lot of design features with the Supex ones, and I do
remember them being a little more refined and less "in your face" than
things like Dynavectors and Linn MCs.

Golden Earring wrote:
> It might be cheaper to replace your discs than to BUY a professional
> cleaning machine!
Even fresh out of the bag brand-new LPs can have mold release agent that
is worth removing. And apart from the Keith Monks (which is thousands to
buy), vacuum cleaners can be had for a few hundred. They are the only
*really* effective way to clean LPs.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A