iPhone wrote:
> .
> Any low noise switching power supply with proper specs IE 5V DC
> regulated, Center positive, sleeve ground Connector: 2.5mm ID, 5.5mm OD,
> 11mm long Min supply rating: 1000mA. So as long as it outputs 5VDC with
> at least an Amp of current and is properly filtered (low noise) it will
> work just fine.
>
> The only thing better (and only slightly) is using a 6VDC battery with
> 10Ahr capacity or better which you would recharge over night after use
> (or as need be dependent on use). The slight advantage is it is
> absolutely clean DC power with no noise. Hence it is impossible to pass
> power supply or mains noise through to the SB3. I have a battery
> operated Pre-Amp that sounds just as good as a passive Pre-Amp but I
> doesn't lose the gain of an active Pre-Amp with the battery powered
> Pre-Amp. It has two batteries so one can be charging while the other is
> in use.
> .

Hi iPhone! (on a different thread, I'm still absorbing the Vandersteen
links you sent me, lol... )

I use a LiFePO4 rechargeable golf cart battery (24AHr, rated for 30A
continuous, 90A peak) to power my Mytek Brooklyn external DAC which has
a nominal 12V DC input - obviously you have to disconnect the mains AC
input.

The battery has 4 cells each with a nominal 3.2V output, so overall it
supplies 12.8V nominal. But in fact any power supply in the 7-14V DC
will suit the Mytek, it's the current capability rather than the voltage
which is most important, for solid-state electronics at least. However,
with that much current capability it *-is-*
absolutely vital that you wire it up with the correct polarity!!

I have failed to find a 2.5mm DC power plug rated at more than 5A, but
the point of the high current capability is entirely to handle
transients - the average current consumption of my Mytek at 12V (or so!)
is well below 1A, so there is no real risk of melting a correctly
connected plug: the consequence of getting the polarity the wrong way
round around WOULD be a little more severe for my DAC. Rather than use a
fiddly soldered plug, one can readily obtain 2.5mm DC power plugs from
eBay with screw connectors *-&-* the +ve & -ve inputs clearly marked.

My golf cart battery can be fully recharged in 6 hrs using the supplied
trickle charger. I use an electronic timer to switch the charger off, &
position the beastie under my kitchen extractor whilst it's charging
overnight just in case, although it is a sealed unit & according to
Wikipedia LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium ion
batteries.

As you rightly say, you can't really beat native DC: & it cost less than
half the price of the sexy mains-driven power supply that the dealer was
-very- keen to sell me...

Dave  :cool: